Liberty Lake Day Camp gives all children an opportunity to succeed and welcomes campers with special needs who can benefit from a total inclusion experience. We have great success with children with a wide range of developmental disabilities including Autism, ADHD, Downs Syndrome, and physical disabilities such as Cerebral Palsy, sight/hearing impaired and eating disorders/allergies. Our goal is for these campers to succeed in our extraordinary and supportive world amongst typical campers- just as they will when they become adults.
Campers with Special Needs are placed in groups according to age and gender along with their typical peers. Groups are supervised by an adult Group Leader and 1 or 2 high school aged counselors. Many of our campers with special needs require additional one-on-one assistance. We refer to these additional helpers as Advocates. Camp families can secure advocates in the following ways:
- Some school districts provide advocates if it is part of the student’s summer plan.
- Some campers qualify for aid from state agencies which provides advocates through programs like the Bridges Program at Advancing Opportunities, the Learning Well, etc.
- For higher functioning children with special needs, we can help identify staff who we believe will make great advocates. Parents would pay the additional cost of the advocate through the camp.
- Some parents hire their own advocates. Often times they find people who already work with their child during the year and are very familiar with their needs.
Resources For Inclusion Success
Our Inclusion Coordinators, Betsy and Gale, oversee all program logistics and communicates with parents on an ongoing basis. They are experienced Special Education Teachers with the insight and ability to assist these children and their advocates.
- LLDC also has specific staff training about working with inclusion campers.
- Liberty Lake’s “Freedom of Choice Elective Program” allows campers (with parental assistance) to choose electives that they are interested in and can be successful in.
Liberty Lake Day Camp is the only private camp in NJ to be approved through the NJ Department of Health and Human Services “Real Life Choices (RLC) Program.” This program provides some funding for qualified children to attend Camp. To see if your child qualifies for services, please contact Perform Care at 1-877-652-7624. Liberty Lake also partners with many school districts, county, military and religious organizations who make funding available for families.